7 basis tenses in English:
Simple Future S + will + Vo + O
Simple Present S + V1s,es + O
Present Continu S + am/is/are + Ving + O
Present Perfect S + has/have + V3ed + O
Simple Past S + V2ed + O
Past Continuous S + was,were + Ving + O
Past Perfect S + had + V3ed + O
In English, tenses are defined by the time word.
The Simple Present: S + V1s,es + O
– Every: everyday, every morning, every month, every year …
– Often, usually, always, sometimes …
– If there is no time word in the sentence, we always use The Simple Present.
The Simple Future: S + will + Vo + O
– Next: next year, next 2 years, next month, next week …
– In, on + future time: in 2050, on September …
The Simple Past: S + V2ed + O
– Past time + ago: 2 days ago, 2 weeks ago …
– Last + Past time: last week, last month, last year …
– In, on + past time: in 2006, on Monday …
The Present Continuous: S + am/is/are + Ving + O
– Now at the moment
The Past Continuous: S + was,were + Ving + O
– Specific time in the past:
at 5 p.m yesterday, on 25th May, 2010 …
The Present Perfect: S + has/have + V3ed + O
– Since (specific time): since 2005, …
– For (a period of time): for 3 years, …
– How long
The Past Perfect: S + had + V3ed + O
– Before after
Method: How use the correct verb form without understand all words in a sentence
In English, tenses are defined by time word. If you can define the time word correspondent to the suitable tenses, you’ll know how to write a sentence in correct grammar easily.
Example 1: Balloon(fly) on the sky now.
– Step 1: Define the time word
“now” => The Present Continuous.
=> am,is,are + V-ing = am,is are + flying
– Step 2: Define S singular or plural.
Ssingular => Vsingular
Splural => Vplural
If Verb is “will, can, should, must, did, had,…”, we don’t change them no matter S is singular or plural.
If it’s a negative sentence (not) or a question, we borrow Verb auxiliary “do, does, did”
“Balloon” is singular => am,is are + flying = is +flying
Balloon(fly) is flying on the sky now.
Example 2: Balloon(not fly) on the sky everyday.
Step 1: everyday => The Simple Present
V1s,es = not + fly, flies
Without Vmodal or “be” in this sentences, we borrow Vauxiliary
do/does + not + Vo = do,does + not + fly
Step 2: Balloon is singular => Vauxiliary is singular “does”
Balloon(not fly) does not fly on the sky everyday.
Example 3: Balloon(not fly) on the sky tomorrow
Step 1: tomorrow => The Simple Future
Will + V0 => will + not + fly
Step 2: “will” is Vmodal, we don’t change it no matter S is singular or plural:
Balloon(not fly) will not fly on the sky tomorrow.
Exercise : Use the correct Verb form
1. Earthquake (cause) many disasters in 2020.
2. Pollution(extinguish) many species now.
3. These circuses(surprise) to many audiences yesterday.
4. He (pray) for his grandmother tomorrow.
5. The earth (not travel) around the sun.
- Earthquake (cause) will cause many disasters in 2020.
- Pollution(extinguish) is extinguishing many species now.
- These circuses(surprise) surprised to many audiences yesterday.
- He (pray) will pray for his grandmother tomorrow.
- The sun (not travel) doesn’t travel around the earth.
Leave a Comment or a Question